For 500 years, the sound of pipe organs has been heard in St. Mary’s Church of Rostock. In 1593, one of the largest pipe organ’s of its time was installed at the western wall of the nave.
For 250 years visitors have been fascinated by the impressive organ facade built by Rostock organ builder Paul Schmidt.
But the interior of the organ and the sound produced by 5.700 pipes does not really match the glamour of the exterior: bad times and unfortunate developments left their marks on the organ’s biography.
The coming restoration of the organ is meant to start a new, splendid chapter of its history.
Learn more about the past, the present and the future of this instrument and be inspired to support our efforts!
November 2020: Church opened for prayer only Mon-Sat 10:00-14:00. Organ will be played Wed 12:00 and Fri 12:00 during noon prayers