The first record of an organ in St. Mary’s dates from 1452. We do not know anything more about that instrument. From 1577 we have a document for an organist’s payment.
From 1590 to 1593, Heinrich Glowatz built a large organ at the West end of the nave, comprising about 54 stops (the sources do not match exactly) and with three manuals and pedal. It was amongst the largest instruments of its time. It was removed in 1768 by Paul Schmidt to make space for his new instrument.
The image is a visualization of the view towards West shortly after 1723, when the hood of the pulpit was completed. Beneath the organ, a large clock is still extant, the duke’s loft is not built yet. The depicted extorior of the organ was modeled after other Glowatz organs and descriptions in several sources.
Learn more about the Glowatz organ here>