skip to Main Content

The Great Organ from 1770

The impressive baroque facade of St. Mary’s organ was completed in 1770 by Rostock organ builder Paul Schmidt.

After several rebuilds of the technically faulty instrument by Marx (1793), Winzer (around 1845), Börger (1890-1911) and others, we find today an electro-pneumativ organ built in 1938 by Sauer, Frankfurt/Oder, consisting of 83 stops with 4 manuals and 5,700 pipes, retaining about 30 stops and windchests from previous organs.

More about the history of the baroque organ can be found in the following survey:

Research and Sources

In spring 2019, Martin Dücker researched several sources in the archives of St. Mary’s church.

Alterations 1836-1917

After 40 years the wind supply was altered. Later modifications include specification, action and the addition of a Swell division

The Marx Organ from 1793

Soon after completion, first faults of the Schmidt organ became obvious. Julius Ernst Marx of Berlin was called to rebuild the instrument.

The Schmidt Organ from 1770

In 1766, Rostock organ builder Paul Schmidt was commissioned to build a new organ for St. Mary’s church.

Organs between 1452 and 1765

1452 first record of an organ, from 1590 to 1593, Heinrich Glowatz builds a large organ (III/52-54) at the nave’s western end

Specification 1983

Specification after the last renovation of 1983

Back To Top